What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your We Energies Bill
We Energies is an electric company offering service to residents in Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Natural gas and steam services are also available to Wisconsin residents. The company:
- Services more than 2 million customers
- Maintains more than 45,000 miles of electric distribution lines
- Employees more than 4,000 workers
- We Energies is the trade name for Wisconsin Gas LLC and Wisconsin Electric Power Company.
How to Pay the Bill
Bill payment options for We Energies customers include:
Pay online: You can pay your We Energies bill online at http://we-energies.com/residential/paybill/online_account_access_info.htm. Customers must sign up for online access before making payments online.
Pay Automatically: Automatic payments can be deducted from your bank account each month using directpaymentplan.com. There is no fee for the service.
Pay in Person: Payments can be dropped in a DropBox at:
333 W. Everett St
All other in-person payments can be made through CheckFree Pay or MoneyGram.
- CheckFree – Accepts cash, personal checks, business checks, partial payments and past due payments. Must bring bottom of current bill. Fee ranges from $1 to $2.
- MoneyGram – Accepts debit cards (Walmart locations only), cash, partial payments and past due payments. Biller code for payments is 6885. Customers must fill out a long form to make payments. Fees range from $2.15 to $2.25.
Pay by Phone: Phone payments can be made through Bill Matrix. Customers must call 1-888-823-2943. There is a $3.95 service fee per payment. Maximum payment accepted by Bill Matrix is $600.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
The WE Energies FAQs page explains some of the more common details about online billing, fees and account changes, but specific fees are not listed. Customers can contact a customer consultant at 1-800-242-9137 for a specific list of fees that may appear on your bill.
How the Penalty Fees Work
We Energies charges late payment fees, reconnect fees and service charges on returned checks or payments not honored by your bank for insufficient funds.
- Late Payment Fees – 1% of the past due amount per month
- Service Charge for Insufficient Funds and Returned Checks – $15 plus bank fees, if applicable
- Reconnect Fee – Past due amount plus variable reconnect fee and possible deposit
We Energies provides multiple options for customers who cannot pay bills on-time. Customer service was happy to suggest visiting the website for more information and provided general information on payment arrangements.
Payment Arrangements – Payment arrangements can be requested from the customer service department. Customers must call 1-800-842-4565 for details on payment plans. We Energies reserves the right to deny payment plan options to customers who have broken payment plans in the past. Some customers may be eligible to set up a payment plan via the automated service to reduce time on the phone.
Online Payment Plans – Wisconsin residents can fill out an online form to request payment arrangements. Customers must have a past due bill balance between $150 and $400. The bill due date must be more than 5 days in the futures and the customer must not be on a current payment plan.
Gift of Energy – If you know someone having trouble paying a We Energies bill, you can give the Gift of Energy. The recipient must be selected for all monies placed in the program. A general recipient fund is also available. This fund is referred to as the Keep Wisconsin Warm Fund.
LIHEAP – We Energies and the state of Wisconsin/Michigan offer the LIHEAP home energy assistance program to qualified low-income customers that can’t pay your bill. The average amount provided to customers is $68.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
We’d love to hear how We Energies worked with you to pay your overdue energy bill. Did you get the service you expected?