What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your SDGE Bill
SDGE is San Diego Gas & Electric. The company started in 1881 with just 89 gas customers. After 125 years, the company now serves more than 775,000 gas customers and 3 million electric customers. SDGE is a Sempra Energy company.
How to Pay the Bill
SDGE is a utility company with various bill payment options.
Pay online: Customers wishing to pay an SDGE bill online must sign up for an account on the utility website. You can pay your SDGE bill by visiting https://myaccount.sdge.com/security/signin.fcc?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-ef556072-0c36-105f-b5fc-8351c60dfc9f&GUID=&SMAUTHREASON=0&METHOD=GET&SMAGENTNAME=$SM$ra2CYH6adnkCjVVd3CR%2bL%2bw5vijLip7aOK1OaNj28Ec3OK1HyCgonC3FvgK8UcVh&TARGET=$SM$https%3a%2f%2fmyaccount.sdge.com%2fmyAccount%2fmyAccount.portal.
Pay Automatically: After signing up for an online account, SDGE customers enter bank information and schedule automatic payments. Payments are deducted at the same time each month.
Pay by Phone: The Pay by Phone service from SDGE requires the customer to sign-up with an online or mail enrollment form. The account must be in good standing with no current payment plans in place. When the customer wants to pay their SDGE bill, they simply call 1-800-619-7343 to make an automated payment.
Pay by Mail: Customers can send mail payments to –
PO Box 25111
Santa Ana, CA 92799-5111
Pay via Home Bank: Some personal and business banks offer bill pay services. Simply enter the mailing address for SDGE payments and send payment for your utility bill.
Pay by Bill Matrix: Bill Matrix is a partner payment processor that accepts credit card, debit card and bank account payments. Customers call 1-800-386-0067 to make payment by phone or visit the Bill Matrix website to pay online. There is a $1.50 fee per transaction.
Pay by Authorized Location: Authorized payment locations are available throughout the San Diego area. Customers must search for a local payment location from the SDGE website.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Information on franchise fees, regulatory fees and taxes are available from the Residential FAQS page on the SDG&E website. If your bill lists fees not covered on the FAQs page, contact customer service at 1-800-411-7343.
How the Penalty Fees Work
SDGE charges fees for Bill Matrix payments, rejected payments and reconnection. There could be other fees, but these are the only fees addressed on the SDGE website.
- Bill Matrix – $1.50 per transaction
- Rejected Pay by Phone Payment – $8.00
- Reconnection – Case-by-case
SDGE is willing to work with customers having trouble paying utility bills.
- Payment Arrangements: Customers can sign up for payment arrangements from their online account. Simply click on Need More Time to Pay My Bill and enter required information.
- Level Pay: Level pay evens out utility bills over the course of 12 months. There are no spikes in energy bills during peak months.
- Medical Conditions: The Medical Baseline program is available to SDGE customers with medical equipment that may cause increased energy bills. Customers can apply from the official website.
- Neighbor to Neighbor: Neighbor to neighbor is available for temporary financial hardship. SDGE customers can apply for $200 credit. Customers must not be eligible for or currently receiving state or federal aid for energy bills to qualify.
- Special Needs Customers: Special needs customers should report medical conditions that require electricity to SDGE.
- LIHEAP: When other payment assistance programs are exhausted, you can apply for federal assistance through the LIHEAP home energy assistance program. This service is available for all qualified low-income customers of SDGE. Upon approval, customers can use the assistance to pay your SDGE heating or cooling bill.
Will They Work With me to Pay My Bill?
Do you love SDGE customer service? Has the company failed you in the past? Tell us how SDGE worked with you to pay your bill.