What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Northwestern Energy Bill
Northwestern Energy services more than 680,000 customers in Montana, Nebraska and South Dakota. The services available include electric and gas. Northwestern Energy is a strong supporter of the community, giving to programs including the Special Olympics, economic development and energy education. Several resources are available to Northwestern Energy customers that have difficulty paying their bill in a timely manner.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online: Customer can pay your Northwestern Energy online by visiting https://paynow7.speedpay.com/Northwestern/index.asp?state_code=MT. Payments can be made from your savings or checking account, debit card or credit card.
Automatic payment: Your Northwestern Energy is automatically deducted from your savings or checking account on the date your bill is due. You can sign up for the free service by completing the application or signing up through your online account.
Pay by phone: You can pay by phone using your checking, Money market or savings account by calling 1-800-218-4959. Call 1-877-361-4927 if you are paying your Northwestern Energy by debit card or credit card.
Pay by mail: You can send payments to:
c/o Customer Services
40 E. Broadway
Butte, MT 59701-9394
P.O. Box 1338
Butte, MT 597002-1338
Pay in person: Northwestern Energy offers several offices throughout Montana, Nebraska and South Dakota to pay your bill in person.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Northwestern Energy operates in Montana, Nebraska and South Dakota. Customers can view rates and tariffs for each state, including late payment fees and returned payment fees. Choose the appropriate list of rates for your state: Rates and Tariffs for Montana, Rates and Tariffs for Nebraska, or Rates and Tariffs for South Dakota. There are customer service numbers for each state as well.
- Montana: 1-888-467-2669
- South Dakota and Nebraska: 1-800-245-6977.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Northwestern Energy did not disclose the exact amount of the fees the company imposes on the customers. The customer service representative we spoke to did disclose that the fees they assess cover late payments, reconnection and at times a security deposit.
The first option Northwestern Energy makes available to customers that cannot pay their bill is payment arrangements. Northwestern Energy offers additional resources based upon the customers state of residence.
- Payment arrangements – Customers call customer service at 1-888-467-2669 (Montana) or 1-800-245-6977 (South Dakota and Nebraska) and inquire about payment arrangements. Payment arrangements fit into your monthly basis. The main concern is not waiting until the Northwestern Energy bill is passed the due date.
- LIHEAP home energy assistance program – This service assists qualified low-income customers with their energy expenses during the winter months.
- NorthWestern Energy Discount – The discount is available to customers that qualify for LIHEAP. Customers receive a 15% discount on the monthly electric bill and 30% discount on their gas bill.
- Energy Share – Qualified low-income customers receive a one-time payment to assist with their Northwestern Energy bill.
- Energy Crisis Intervention Program – In the event you have not received assistance from the LIEAP program, you may be eligible for a one-time payment to cover heating costs during the winter months.
- Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Northwestern Energy customers, sound off! Did the company exceed your expectations when it came to customer service? Did Northwestern Energy help you pay your bill? Let us know!