What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Nipsco Bill
Nipsco is an electric company headquartered in Merillville, Indiana. The company provides more than one million customers with gas and electric utilities. Nipsco supports community activities, community growth and alternative energy initiatives.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online: You can pay your Nipsco bill online at https://directlinkeservices.com/nisource/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNDIINDAx8PDxD_AJMDTwtAnz8g0L9DYxcTPQLsh0VAa7ie9o!/. Other online payment options include:
- CheckFree – free service for electronic check payments.
- Bill Matrix – charges a fee per transaction for credit and debit card payments.
- ZapCheck – free service for recurring bank payments.
Pay by phone: Customers must call 1-855-763-6277 to make payments by phone. Bill Matrix is authorized by Nipsco to take bill payments, but the customer must pay the Bill Matrix service charge.
Pay by mail: If you want to send a personal check or money order, address the payment to:
PO Box 13007
Merrillville, IN 46411-3007
(Include your 10-digit account number on the check or money order.)
Pay in person: There are more than 200 locations that currently accept Nipsco payments. Payment locations are available in:
- Cedar Lake
- Columbia City
- Crown Point
- East Chicago
- Fort Wayne
- Lake Station
- Michigan City
- North Manchester
- Royal Center
- South Bend
- St. John
- West Lafayette
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
The Nipsco FAQs page answers questions about residential security deposits and delivery charges. Specific details about returned payment fees and security deposits, as well as other possible fees, can be addressed by customer service at 1-800-464-7726. Customers wishing to learn more about specific electric and gas rates can view the Rates and Tariffs page.
How the Penalty Fees Work
- Late payment charge: A late payment fee of 3% of the total balance is applied to your bill if you cannot make a full payment by the due date.
- Security deposit: Nipsco reserves the right to charge a new security deposit or increase your security deposit if service is disconnected for non-payment.
- Returned check fee: Nipsco charges a returned check fee in addition to the fee charged by your personal bank. The amount of the fee is not revealed on the Nipsco website.
- Reconnect during normal business hours: $45
- Reconnect after normal business hours: $60
- Price Protection: Gives customer information on upcoming prices based on current market changes. This allows the customer to prepare for possible increases in energy bills.
- BudgetPlan: Customers are billed the same energy costs each month based on the average monthly bills at the address during the previous 12 month period. Contact customer service at 1-800-464-7726 to sign up for the BudgetPlan. Charges above the billed amount carry over to the following year.
- DependaBill: Customer service will send a bill plan to customers upon request that promises an equal payment every month with no rollover to the following year. Customers must call 1-866-777-9151 to request a quote. When the automated system answers, press 3 then 2. Enter the phone number associated with the account and press the number to request a quote be mailed to the address on file.
- NIPSCO Choice: Customers can choose which natural gas provider they would like to supply their gas. This gives customers the option of shopping around for the best price.
- Payment Arrangements: Payment assistance is available for customers having temporary problems paying bills on-time. Customer service will review payment options with customers via phone at 1-800-464-7726. Customers have four days to make the first payment and three months to pay the remaining balance. Current charges are due in addition to payment arrangement payments.
- LIHEAP: How to qualify for energy assistance with LIHEAP? You will need to provide proof of your household income in order to qualify for this federally-funded low-income program designed to assist you in pay your Nipsco bill.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Did Nipsco work with you to make your past due balance disappear? Let us know how Nipsco worked for you.