What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Madison Gas and Electric Bill
Madison Gas and Electric provide electric company and gas company services to more than 250,000 customers in and around Madison, Wisconsin. The gas company has been serving the community for more than 150 years. Madison Gas and Electric claims to:
- Provide reliable service
- Educate customers are reducing energy and heating bills
- Support local community activities and events
How to Pay Your Bill
Automatic payment: Customers can sign up for automatic payments from their online account with Madison Gas and Electric. The service pays the total amount due each month on the due date by debiting a bank account.
Pay by check: Check payments are taken by mail. Payments are typically processed the same day payment is received.
Pay by credit or debit card: Credit and debit card payments are processed by a third-party payment processor. Customers must call 1-800-526-5995 to make a payment. A $5.95 processing fee applies. You must have your account number, credit or debit card number, billing zip code and payment amount when making the payment.
Pay online: You can pay your Madison Gas and Electric bill online by visiting http://mge.com/myaccount/options/paybill.htm. Customers must register for an account with CheckFree before making a payment.
Pay by mail: Customers must send payment with the bill stub to:
PO Box 1231
Madison, WI 53701-1231
Pay in person: Madison Gas and Electric offers various options for making payments in person. Payments are taken at Madison Gas and Electric locations and authorized payment agents. Authorized agents may charge a $1 processing fee.
Pay by phone: Payments are accepted by phone, but there is a $5.95 fee assessed per transaction. Customers must call 1-800-526-5995 to make a payment by phone.
Pay at a drop box: Drop boxes are located throughout Madison. Customers should call customer service at 1-800-245-1125 for locations.
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Madison Gas and Electric or MGE gives customers a FAQs section to answer some of the most common billing and service questions. Payments fees and collection agency practices are discussed in the FAQs. The customer service department can answer any additional questions at 1-608-252-7222.
How the Penalty Fees Work
- Late payment charge: Madison Gas and Electric charges a 1% late payment fee per month if the bill is not paid on-time. There is a 15-day grace period between the date the bill is printed and when payment is due.
- Security deposit: MG&E will charge a security deposit based on several factors, including history of utility bill payment with other Wisconsin companies and credit rating.
- Budget payment plan: Madison Gas and Electric offers a budget payment plan to customers who want to budget monthly bills. The total amount of each bill is determined by previous usage at your address. The budget plan is broken into 11 equal payments. The final payment of the year is a reconciliation payment and may be significantly higher than the previous 11 payments.
- Deferred payment: Customers having trouble making a full bill payment should call customer service at 1-800-245-1125 for more information on the deferred payment plan. This plan allows customers to defer a portion of the payment by making regular payments. A down-payment is required when setting up the deferred payment plan.
- LIHEAP home energy assistance program: This program is available for qualified low-income customers of Madison Gas and Electric. The application process is open for a limited amount of time, so we suggest you apply early. When the funds are dispersed, you can use the money to pay current and past due heating and cooling costs.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
Let us know how Madison Gas and Electric served you when your utility bills were past due.