What to Do When You Can’t Pay Your Birmingham Water Works Bill
Birmingham Water Works is a water company servicing the residence of the Birmingham metropolitan area and surrounding region. The company is controlled by the independent water commission and provides services for more than 750,000 commercial and residential customers.
How to Pay the Bill
Pay online: Customers can pay your Birmingham Water Works bill online by visiting https://paynow7.speedpay.com/BWWSB/index.asp. There is a convenience fee of $2.45 for each transaction of $500 when a credit card is uses. The service fee is waived for customers that use their savings or checking accounts.
Pay by phone: You can pay your Birmingham Water Works by phone by calling 1-877-565-3802. There is a convenience fee of $2.45 for each transaction of $500.
Pay by person: You can pay your Birmingham Water Works bill in person by visiting Winn Dixie and Food World Stores throughout the state as well as:
3600 First Ave. North
Birmingham, AL 35222
3633 gray Ave.
Adamsville, Al 35005
1152 East Lake Boulevard
Birmingham, Al 35217
Pay by mail: Customers can send your Birmingham Water Works bill to:
Birmingham Water Works Board
P.O. Box 830269
Birmingham, Al 35283-0269
Questions About Your Billing Statement or Account?
Your Birmingham Waterworks bill arrived and you have no idea why there are fees and service charges. The Miscellaneous Charges link at the bottom of the Rates page gives detailed information on fees. There is also information available from customer service at 1-205-244-4000.
How the Penalty Fees Work
Birmingham Water Works charges fees for delinquent accounts as well as connection and reconnection fees, returned checks and in some instances, a security deposit. Additional fees include service fees and unauthorized usage fees.
- Connection fee – $25
- Reconnection fee – $30
- Returned check – $25; Your bank could possibly charge an additional fee.
- Security deposits – $60 to $120
- Unauthorized use – $100 to $500
- Service – $50 to $60
When we spoke to customer service, they offered limited information regarding assistance with Birmingham Water Works bills. They did state that customers should call 1-205-244-4000 to discuss payment arrangements. They then directed us to state funded programs that offer assistance.
- Alabama Power Company Utility Bill Assistance Programs – This program is designed for customers of Birmingham Water Works that receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or AFDC assistance. The maximum amount the customer is charged is $10.
- Project Share – This program is funded through donations and administered through the American Red Cross. Customers donate when they pay their Birmingham Water Works bill and the funds go into a pool and dispersed to income-eligible individuals.
- LIHEAP – Income-eligible customers receive assistance through this state funded program.
Will They Work With Me to Pay My Bill?
When you needed assistance with your Birmingham Water Works bill, did the company help? Did they provide you with options or simply leave you with nowhere to turn? Sound off and let us know your experience.